There is a moment every Lafayette winter when you can’t seem to find the source of the draft in your home. It could potentially be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed properly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and frosty, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help save money and cut down drafty air from passing through your home, it’s essential to be able to distinguish where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some helpful tips to pinpoint your Lafayette home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and fractures in unusual locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the typical windows with functional means and use a simple visual inspection.
- Inspect to confirm that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket near the functional portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from McComb Window & Door in Lafayette to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Lafayette a call at 317-983-5804 with any additional questions or possible replacement needs.